There have been complaints that being natural is expensive, products are not widely available and that natural hair can only be worn in a big afro. So I tasked myself with the challenge of going to Wal-Mart and finding natural hair care items that were available and affordable.
1. Revlon Pro Stylist, $16.96. This blowdryer has ionic and ceramic technologies, includes both a diffuser and a concentrator attachment. Use the diffuser attachment to quickly dry curls after wash-n-go without creating frizz. Use the concentrator nozzle to create a sleek blow-out with the addition of a paddle, round, or boar brush.
2. Goody Hair Accessory, $5.00. Goody Luxe Collection features glam headbands, barrettes and clips which are the perfect addition for your fierce do.
3. Scunci Upzing, $5.96. These innovative combs help you create fabulous up-do’s, ponytails and rolls on even the thickest hair. Don’t think your hair will fit in this clip? Check out this vid
4. Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel, $3.94, 13 oz. While labeled as a gel it feels more like a pudding and is great for twists and braids as it provides a light hold. You can get very defined twist/braid-outs using this product. You can also check out ORS Smooth-n-Hold Pudding.
5. Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner, $5.97, 16 oz. This leave in conditioner can be used a both a conditioner and a styler to moisturize your dry hair. This line also includes shampoo, rinse-out conditioner, strengthening treatment, hair and scalp oil and oil sheen spray.
6. Evolve Go Satin Pillowcase, $7.97. The key to avoiding breakage and single-strand knots is to protect your hair while sleeping. With this satin pillowcase there is no need to tie up your hair before turning in.
7. Organix Shampoo and Conditioner, $5.94, 13 oz. Available in Nourishing Coconut, Smoothing Shea Butter, Hydrating Tea Tree and Revitalizing Pomegranate.
8. Equate Nature’s Addition Shampoo and Conditioner, $2.34, 12.6 oz. Equate is Wal-Mart’s store brand and this is their generic version of the Pantene Naturals line.
9. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Shampoo and Conditioner, $2.96, 13 oz. Contains olive, avocado and shea oils along with additional fruit extracts.
10. Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoo and Conditioner $5.97, 8.5 oz. Giovanni makes great salon quality natural products. Look for these in the make-up and beauty section not with the other hair care items.
11. Natures Gate Shampoo and Conditioner $6.97, 18oz. Nature’s Gate products are normally found in health food stores. This product line includes many different varieties including henna, herbal blend, lavender and aloe. These products are sulfate free and contain quality ingredients. Look for these in the make-up and beauty section not with the other hair care items.
12. Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hair Care Shampoo and Conditioner $7.47, 12oz. Available in Mango Moisture and Coconut Milk Extra-Rich. Alba products contain papaya, jojoba, sunflower seed, macadamia and kukui nut oils. SLS/SLES free and 100% vegetarian ingredients. Look for these in the make-up and beauty section not with the other hair care items.
13. Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, $3.97, 12 oz. 100% aloe vera gel that is free of dye, alcohol, and fragrance. Aloe Vera Gel is like water 2.0, very moisturizing for the hair. Found with the lotion and sunscreen.
14. Great Value Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $5.88, 25.5 oz. Olive oil is a great natural oil for both the hair and scalp.
15. Agave Nectar $3.48, 11.75 oz. Agave nectar comes from the agave plant, the same one that tequila is made from, and was known as liquid gold to the Aztecs. Swap it in for honey or molasses in any natural hair recipes.
16. Coconut Milk, $1.28, 13.5 oz. Coconut milk is another popular natural hair ingredient. You can use it on its own as a pre-poo or DC.
17. Green Tea, $2-4. The herbal remedies associated with green tea include promoting hair growth and healthy scalp. Use in hair spritz, add to conditioning treatments or henna gloss. You can also use a final rinse.
18. Scarves, $5.00. Scarves can be used to make a headwrap or headband to add color and style or to remedy a bad hair day.
19. Knee-High Panty Hose, $0.67. Knee highs are used by a lot of naturals to create the perfect puff or ponytail. They are cheap and nearly indestructible.
20. Character Bandz, $1-3. We use character bands in our hair for ponytail holders. They are cheap, have no metal clasp and made of silicon they stay in place while being gentle. You can also use them for headbands.