During the Winter months our skin tends to be drier due to the weather conditions. We often slather it up with lotions and salves looking for relief but there is so much more you should be doing for your skin to help it remain healthy and supple.
- Launder your sheets. Sweat, dead skin cells, and general outside grime is rubbed into our bed sheets daily. These irritants may be causing your itchy skin. You should wash your sheets at least weekly add a capful of bleach to disinfect or ammonia if your sheets are colored.
- Exfoliate. Your skin is a living organ and it sheds skin cells every day. You need to help make sure those cells are actually departing from your body. Using a wash cloth is a good first step but a loofah or brush is better. Make sure you ask a friend or loved one to hit your back for you or use one with a long handle. You also want to use a body scrub twice a month to help really smooth out your skin,
- Turn down the temp. I love a hot shower. Love. But exposing your skin to hot water for long periods of time is drying to your skin. Turning down the temperature of the water and taking shorter showers can help maintain the natural oils in your skin and alleviate dryness.
- Cleanse gently. When looking for a body wash or soap many of us pay more attention to how the product smells over how it makes our skin feel. We also feel like our skin needs to be stripped to be clean, this is untrue. A lot of the cleansers found in body wash we wouldn’t dare put on our hair or face, but we slather it all over the rest our our bodies. Look for washes without SLS, SLES, ALES and other harsh salts. Also avoid washes with silicones as these create a layer over the skin and this residue can prevent moisturization.
- Wipe me down. After bathing most people grab a nice fluffy towel and rub their body down. This is actually contributing to the dry skin problem as well. That water is adding moisture to your skin it is actually better if you leave your skin damp before applying your oil, butter or lotion. Secondly, that vigorous rubbing is not helping either. Opt for patting yourself down with a towel or even better using your damp washcloth to wipe down most of the water but still leaving your skin moist.
- Butter up. Right out of the shower when your skin is still moist butter up that skin to lock in the moisture, replace natural oils lost while cleansing, soften and protect your skin. Make sure you ask for help for hard to reach areas like your back.
$5 for 2 oz stick
Available on Melodic Elements website
Jasmine, Lavender, Peppermint Lemongrass, Patchouli, Orange scents
ing: shea butter, arrowroot powder, baking soda, essential oil fragrance.
I know simple ingredients list right? That is one of the reasons I switched to using natural deodorants. I wanted to simplify my life by using more natural products with ingredients I could recognize. I also wanted to move away from antiperspirants that contain harmful ingredients that may be cancer causing. I made that switch for good over 3 years ago. And while I have not regretted my decision, there have been times that I have been less than fresh and that is not okay. Along this path of hits and misses I was happy about Melodic Elements which is not only Kentucky proud and a Louisville original, it is a Black female owned small business *triple word score* [full disclosure the owner is a friend of mine].
5 Things I Love About This Product
- Simple all natural ingredients. There are several natural deodorants on the market but many of them contain a long list of ingredients that I have to research. I love that the ingredients listed are readily understood.
- Smells divine. I purchased the Jasmine scent for myself and the Peppermint for my son. They both smell very pleasant but are not overwhelming.
- It works. More than wanting to use a natural product I need the product to actually work and this one does. All day long. It has been proven by lasting all day on my pre-teen son. He no longer smells like “outdoor” when he comes home from school.
- It lasts. I can apply this deodorant in the morning and get at least 12 hour wear. Actually I just smelled myself and I still smell good so make that 14 hour wear.
- The applicator. I just don’t care for scooping out deodorant with my fingers, I need an applicator. Not only does it come in an applicator but it works and does not get stuck.
In addition to these things the shea butter base formula glides on easy no crumbing or caking and it absorbs well into the skin. I have not had any issue with build up or yellowing on the inside of my shirts. I still exfoliate under my arms weekly before shaving but I have not had a concern of build up. I will repurchase this product again and plan to soon actually because I am almost out however one stick lasted for 2+ months.
Funk Butter, All Natural Deodorant
$5 for 2 oz tin
Available Online at Oyin Handmade
Oyin’s Funk Butter is a cream-to-powder, aluminum free all natural formula that absorbs odor and moisture with natural baking soda, clay and vegetable starches. Funk Butter is Oyin’s answer to any unwanted funk in your life and is effective under arms or between the toes.
ing: baking soda, cornstarch, shea butter, coconut oil, sunflower oil, tapioca starch, kaolin clay, caldendula and chamomile powder, olive oil & good wishes.
The skin under my arms is very sensitive and I have broken out in rashes from anti-perspirants that contained high levels of aluminum. There are several natural deodarant out on the market, but some either leave behind a creepy residue while others still left me well, funky. There are commercial anti-perspirants that I can use but I have to rotate them and cannot use them for long periods of time. I have also used prescriptions but they tend to be a little over effective and leave my skin dry not to mention they’re expensive. So when I saw that Oyin had a natural deodorant I decided to give it a try and I am glad I did!
5 Things I like about this product:
- The product is available in both unscented and scented varieties. Many manufactures fail to realize that perfumes and scent oils can be irritating to the skin which further cause a problem.
- The scented varieties have both masculine and feminine scents. I chose the coco-mango and it smells divine.
- The product works. Plain and simple it does exactly what it claims to do.
- A little really does go a long way. I use less than a pea-sized amount under each arm and it kept me fresh and dry all day.
- It rinses clean. Some deodorants I have to basically exfoliate to remove the residue from my skin which can cause irritation. This funk butter comes off clean in the shower with no lingering residue.
I bought this product during a spring/summer sale on Oyin’s website and I have not regretted the purchase. The product is blended smooth, and is not gritty at all. I have not encountered any skin irritation, though it cautions not to use after shaving so I did not. It contains a lot of oils and butters but does not heavily coat the skin or rub-off on clothes. This will be a repeat purchase for me as long as it is available. The 2 oz tin is the perfect size however it is not suited for travel during hot months. I would recommend this product to those who are sensitive to commercial deodorants or those looking for a natural alternative.