Y’all know I love to Wash n Go. And all hair gels are not created equal. As for me and my hair, we like mucilage gels. Almost all of these snot-like gels with bases of aloe, flax seeds, or botanically infused nettle and marshmallow root yield awesome results. However once you find a product your hair likes the key is knowing how to apply it. Check out My Wash n Go Routine for how I get my curls popping. I have not changed this method in years because it works. Now on to the review.
16 oz $22
ing: Aloe Vera Juice ,Water Infused with Horsetail, Nettle and Marshmallow Root, Olive Oil, Castor, Oil, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar, Xanthan Gum, Honey Quat, Optiphen(preservative), ProVitamin B5, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid and Fragrance
Smooth Naturals is product line from beauty blogger J Cokes, aka Coily Head Chick, in fact the products were first called Coily Head Chick and the line was just a leave in and a hair gel if I remember correctly. It has since blossomed into Smooth Naturals, which is a complete hair, body and skin care brand including a mens line. I loved the idea of a blogger entering the product domain, as a blogger myself we know what we like and what the people want and I am so proud of her for going after it!
5 Things I Like About This Product
- Scent. Honey Almond is just such a sweet pleasant smell. It is not overpowering and it lends itself to blend well with other products.
- Price point. $1.37 per ounce is a fair price point for a curl definer I really don’t like to pay more than $1.50 per ounce and this leaves some wiggle room without a sale.
- Formula. Yes y’all you know I love a mucilage gel, it is the only stuff that does my curls right. This product has great botanicals of horsetail, nettle and marshmallow root with aloe and some good oils. Oh and it’s protein free.
- It gets along. It is really important to me that my styler play well with a variety of leave-ins because I change my leave-in often. This product works best with creamier leave-ins.
- It stores well. The product says it should be used within 6-9 months but I know that I forgot about a bottle in the back of my closet that was a year old and well it still worked. No bacteria or weird smell.
I would absolutely repeat this purchase I still have another jar up in the closet. The gel is a little thinner than I like however it applies easy and it pumps out well, never has the pump gotten stuck or backed up. And it pumps all the way to the bottom of the jar. I can only get up to three day hair with this product as seen in the picture above. I used to seek out 5 and 7 day hair gels and while they are still the business, I wash my hair at least twice a week so long lasting gels are not a requirement. This gel refreshes easily from day to day which I also like and it doesn’t create a ridiculous gel cast. If you have ever used aloe or flax seed gel and liked it but wish you got more than one day results this is the gel you were looking for.