Let’s be serious. HEART DISEASE IS THE #1 KILLER OF WOMEN AND IS MORE DEADLY THAN ALL FORMS OF CANCER.
ONE of every THREE women DIES of heart disease and stroke.
There are several factors that increase your risk for heart disease including:
- High Cholesterol: Total Cholesterol > 200 mg/DL
- High Blood Pressure: BP > 12/80 mm Hg
- Smoking increases your risk for heart disease by 4x
- Diabetes increases your risk for heart disease by 4x
- BMI: Your body mass index = weight in pounds x 703 / height in inches. The higher your BMI the higher your risk for heat disease
- Lack of physical activity. Increasing your physical activity can help decrease cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, BMI as well as reducing stress and increasing overall heart health.
I wanna see each of you Go Red on 2/6/15. Wear a red lip, put on a red pair of socks, add a red scarf to your outfit and encourage others to do so also. Snap a picture and post on social media using the hashtags #GoRedSelfie and #NaturalsGoRed.
To learn more about heart disease and what you can do to prevent it, visit Go Red For Women website. You should also talk to your doctor about your risks for heart disease and make sure you have your levels tested so you can take action if you are at risk.
Follow the American Heart Association’s official Go Red for Women accounts on twitter @GoRedForWomen, facebook Go Red for Women, and instagram @GoRedForWomenAHA. Also make sure you follow me too on twitter @DerbyCityNat, facebook Derby City Naturals and instagram @HereIsMySpout.