Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Souffle
12 oz, $11.99
Available at Target, Walgreens and CVS stores
I did not purchase this product, but was sent to review by the manufacturer. Truth be told I met a company rep at a hair meet-up and was asked what I thought about their products. I told them the truth: I didn’t really like them. The products are shea heavy and contain protein two things my hair doesn’t care for. However my daughter liked them on her hair. The rep remembered my honest opinion and the week before the release of this product I was asked if I would like to do a review. I was honored to be asked especially because I had a less than stellar opinion of previous products I tried. She asked me to try it out and be honest so here is my review.
ing: Aqueous infusion of agave tequilana leaf extract and sugar cane extract, pectin, vegetable glycerin, Baobab pulp, Coconut oil, Shea Butter, Pro Vitamin B-5, Aloe Barbadensis leaf extract, Vitamin E, Flaxseed extract, Hibiscus sabdariffa extract, potassium sorbate, essential oil blend. *note i used the common names as opposed to the scientific as I did not feel like typing them out*
Before the product arrived I read up on all available information including this article on naturallycurly.com which gave a rundown of each ingredients and its purpose. I will admit that I was super excited after reading the ingredient list. I often do an agave/coconut oil pre-poo treatment on my hair which always looks great and wondered why no one has used them together in a product. Genius! I was also excited that there were no strong protein additives which would surely spell disaster for my hair. Once the product was released I saw several reviews on youtube that called the product greasy, said it weighed down their hair and was too sticky. I took all of these comments under review to the use of the product.
I applied the product to freshly cleansed damp hair. Because others had reported that it was oily or greasy I opted not to use a leave in. I divided my hair into 8 sections and smoothed a quarter-sized amount over each section to avoid it from weighing down my hair. Admittedly the product is overly oily, sticky and could weigh your hair down if you apply it with a heavy-hand.
So this is me after application *shrug* it looked okay but nothing to write home about. My hair was sticky/tacky feeling and so was the back of my neck where my hair was laying on it. My hair also felt fairly oily, but did not look greasy. My curls were not really defined or poppin just sort of there. I decided to plop my hair up on top of my head and let it dry for an hour before heading out. This proved to be golden. After about an hour my hair had absorbed most the oil from the product and was less tacky though it was still noticeable. I did like the curl elongation or anti-shrinkage results except for the front crown where I have wavy hair which just looked a little limp. In defense of this product my hair in the front looks limp with most products due to lite curl pattern. I did love the add’l weight the product provided which gave my hair good movement and body while maintaining volume.
I opted to tie back my hair and went out to celebrate dinner with my curl friends. I must say I received many compliments on how my hair looked. The picture above was taken 4 hours after application: minimal shrinkage, light shine, and hang time. My curls felt soft and maintained their “wet” curl pattern however the tacky feel was still present, now I know why others don’t use agave in products -_-
5 Things I Like About This Product
- Awesome natural ingredients.
- Once fully released the product will be readily available in most markets on the ground and has a fair price point.
- The scent smells nice but is not overbearing like previous products I tried from this line.
- I was able to get 2nd day hair from a single application. I put my scarf on at night, then in the a.m. I spritzed my hair with plain water and fluffed with my fingers.
- It did not dry hard like many gels or definers. There was no crunch at all, not even a crisp.
However There Are A Few T
hings I Didn’t Like Opportunities for Improvement
- Less oil please! I am medium porosity and am not a fan of most shea based products or heavy oils as they sit on top of my hair. While this was the best experience so far I have had with this line it’s still is a little too oily for my liking. I think high porosity naturals will probably like the amount of oil.
- Sticky hair is just tacky. (Punny right?, lol) I love the way my curls respond to agave nectar, but I do not like the feeling of sticky hair. It was still sticky on day two. I need less tacky feeling.
Final thoughts on this product is that I would recommend it to others. As for me I would not purchase it again without the improvements listed above. I suffer from hand-in-hair syndrome so prefer touchably soft hair over good looking hair. However if I was in need for a good on the ground product for wash-n-go I would grab it in a pinch.