My twitter homey @Lashawnb recently hosted a natural hair meet-up in nearby Lexington, KY and sent me an invite. More than just going out to support a friend I anxiously awaited attending and even brought my Cuzzo Ro (Queen of the Fluffy Hair) to roll with me.
People ask me, “You run a blog, fb page, host meet-ups and consult naturals on hair care, so why would you want to attend a hair meet-up?”
- Forsake not the knowledge of other naturals: I think of it as continuing education. There is always a method, technique or idea out there when it comes to natural hair that it is silly to think that anyone can “know-it-all”. And while everything is not for everyone I often search for knowledge that I can share with others who cannot find an answer to their dilemma.
- Try before you buy: At most meet-ups naturals bring in their products to share, discuss methods of application or swap. This is a great opportunity to test out or sample a product you may have been interested in. LaShawn brought along her favorite Curl Junkie products, a line I was interested in but had yet to try. I was able to test the products on my hair to find those that would work best.
- Get help with styling: I love the look of coils in my hair but I have problems with them. If I do finger coils the root tends to puff up because my hair is wavier rather than curly. But if I do comb coils my hair tends to tangle in the comb due to the length. We experimented on different methods to coil my hair.
- Camaraderie: Connecting with people of similar interests/situations is a basic human need. The natural hair community is sort of a sisterhood that celebrates and encourages one another along their journey. I have made so many curlfriends because of my natural hair and they are truly some of the best friends I have ever had.
- Giveaways: Who doesn’t love free stuff? I have a 3 naturals in my house so I always appreciate winning a new product that I am able to try on me and the kiddos.
Have you hosted or attended a natural hair meet-up? What do you love most about meet-ups?