While reading and researching for the next meet-up I came across some hair myths related to Black hair and it made me think back to silly things I remember my grandmothers, great-aunts and god-mother said:
- Remove and burn the hair from the brush after you are done styling to prevent someone from hexing you.
- Don’t comb your hair outside or if a bird uses it for it’s nest you will go crazy. Or that if you do comb your hair outside it is good carma if a bird uses it for its nest.
- Never allow more than one person to work on your hair or your hair will fall out. You always keep the same stylist and if he is busy you wait until they have an opening.
- The “Growing Hand” is a label given to a stylist that is so good their manipulation of your hair will cause it to grow.
- If a pregnant woman styles your hair you will become pregnant also.
- If you cut a child’s hair before they can talk you will cut their speech.
- If you shave a child’s hair too soon it will grow back nappy.
- Once you cut your hair, place a lock in the Bible for good luck/protection.
- It is bad luck for a woman to cut a man’s hair.
- You should only cut your hair on a full moon in order for it to grow thick and healthy.
So there are a few from the book and a few I remember from my childhood. What do you think about these myths? Do you follow any of these? What are some that you can remember?