An itchy scalp can be an annoyance but it can also be a sign of a greater medical issue. Have a friend or loved one examine the area in question making sure there aren’t any sores, bumps, rashes, etc. If any of these things are present seek medical advice.
7 Tips to Ditch the Itch and Soothe an Itchy Scalp
- DO NOT SCRATCH. While scratching may provide a temporary relief it can lead to more problems such as inflammation, infection and/or further irritation so resist the urge. Instead opt for the infamous “weave pat”.
- GET IT CLEAN. Use a clarifying shampoo to thoroughly clean and remove any residue from the scalp. Have a friend or loved one examine the area after washing to make sure you have thoroughly removed any buildup. Tips on proper shampooing.
- COLD WATER RINSE. Simply rinsing the scalp with cold water (or applying a cold pack) can often help temporarily soothe and constrict the blood vessels which helps reduce the swelling often associated with itching.
- OATMEAL RINSE. Yes oatmeal has magical effects of soothing irritated skin but instead of reaching for the breakfast oatmeal in your cupboard. You want to grab some colloidal oatmeal from your local pharmacy. Colloidal Oatmeal Rinse.
- WITCH HAZEL. Another wonder of nature witch hazel can also soothe irritated skin. I recommend a natural distillate in aloe or water as oppose to one in alcohol commonly found in your pharmacy. All About Witch Hazel.
- ALOE VERA. Is there anything that aloe vera is not good for? Itchy scalp can be a result of inadequate moisture. Use an aloe based spray to moisturize your hair and scalp and it can also soothe irritation. Tips on Moisture.
- SCALP OILS. Another cause of itchiness can come from dry scalp. You can use natural oils like jojoba oil which is close to your natural sebum. Or you can give it extra oomph by adding essential oils and herbs to soothe like Rosemary and Sage. DIY Rosemary & Sage Scalp Oil.
These are just a few tips to help you overcome that annoying itch. Also want to take note of any new products you have used and maybe remove it from your regimen for a while as perhaps there is an ingredient listed that is causing an allergy or irritation.