Happy International Natural Hair Meetup Day, everyone! Today is the day that naturals from around the world will celebrate their decision to return to their roots and wear their hair natural. Kudos to everyone who has made that decision and those who are still working on it.
I am all set to host the Louisville, KY INHMD event tonite at 6:30 pm we are going to have a blast! One of our esteemed sponsors mainelement:love is hosting an Instagram giveaway for free products and it is easy to enter.
- Take a photo with your INHMD coupon code.
- Post the photo on Instagram with the hashtag #mainelementlove
- Tag the photo with @mainelementlove
That is it! Be sure to follow me on Instagram @HereIsMySpout. This is my personal ig acct so I post hair pics along with other random musings I have found.
Okay peeps we have SEVEN MORE DAYS until International Natural Hair Meetup Day May 18, 2013. I am stressed, nervous and excited at the same darn time. This event is back for its second year and I am going to say that it will be even better than last year. Last year there were events in more than 50 cities across the country, but this year it has truly gone INTERnational; how awesome! Plus with title sponsor Naturals Girls Rock it is sure to be an awesome time!
I am again hosting the local event here in Louisville, KY I will post details for my event at the end of this post, but you can find an event near you by going to the INHMD website. Because you know I like lists I am going to give you a list of reasons you should attend an INHMD event.
7 Reasons You Should Attend An INHMD Event
- Swag Bags. I mean what is an event without swag bags? I don’t know and I don’t want to find out. This year INHMD is sponsored by the following companies Curls Unleashed, Curl Max, Eden BodyWorks, Koils by Nature along with several others.
- Vendors. Many events will have both national and local vendors selling their wares from hair products, makeup, clothing, perfume, jewelry all available in one place.
- Ask the Experts. Got a hair problem you just can’t figure out or a look you want to achieve? Well you’re in luck as top stylist and bloggers will be in attendance and able to lend some advice.
- Connect. I absolutely love my curlfriends! If you don’t have any, well this is the event to find some. Networking with others who are going on a similar journey is incredibly beneficial for all parties.
- Coupon codes. Who doesn’t love a good sale? I know I do. There are many sponsors who cannot donate product but they can offer a discount code to save money on your purchase. Some of these sponsors include mainelement: love, ReVe Essentials and SoapyLuv.
- Giveaways. So what is better than free sample sized products? Free full sized products of course! I mean honestly who doesn’t like free stuff? If you don’t please feel free to pass on your stuff to me :) This year one of the giveaway sponsors is Curl Collection.
- Hair pr0n. What is hair pr0n? Well pr0n is really the word pronounced pour-n but intentionally misspelled to avoid bots and attract unwelcome attention. But basically it is just awesome hair. This is your opportunity to gaze and gawk at awesome hair styles and take pictures without feeling like a creep.
If you are in Louisville or the surrounding area I would LOVE for you to come to my meetup, purchase tickets here.
7 Reasons Why You Should Come Party With DCN:
- Each swag bag from DCN hosts INHMD will include 1 full-sized product from a top brand valued at $9.99+ and samples from many natural hair and beauty companies including Dax Roots of Nature.
- Bake Shop Butters owner NurekaD will be vending. If you have not checked out her products you are in for a real treat!
- Live beauty demo done by Luminta who will teach us all about brows and lashes.
- YouTuber MonicaJoi of KnapsGirl.com will show how to do african threading.
- Tracie Wilkes, the baddest aesthetician around will be giving free consultations and mini facials as well as vending Soul Purpose Products.
- Go Natural Salon & Boutique will be selling natural hair products from your favorite brands including Uncle Funky’s Daughter, Qhemet Biologics, Jessicurl and others.
- There will be several stylists on hand from area natural hair salons to provide many consultations, show examples of their work and set you up to book an appoint.
So while in Atlanta I had the wonderful idea to blow my hair out because I wanted to rock some BIG HAIR for a day. Luckily for me my awesome curlfriends were here for me. Landa of CurlyAndLovely provided the products and the tools. Jalisa of No Fro Smushing Allowed lent a hand and actually did my blow-out. We started this project well after midnight because last minute hairstyles are just how I roll.
First up I washed my hair with Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi shampoo and detangled my hair with deep conditioner from the same line. I really like these products they worked fantastic, check out my review here.
I plaited my hair into 6-8 sections while detangling. I allowed my hair to partially air dry in each plait while laughing and listening to music. Next, we took down each plait one at a time. I applied 1-2 pumps of Clio Therma-Shield Hair Serum which protects up to 480 degrees. Yes, sir I am not trying to fry my hair. Then Ja lovingly blowdried on low heat at medium speed.
Then I braided my hair back up into 12- 15 braids using a fingertip full of Donna Marie Super Buttercreme on each section. My hair was so darn soft I just kept petting myself. I threw a silk scarf on my head then went to sleep finally.
In the morning, I took down each braid and fluffed and shook and fluffed and shook and my hair began to grow. I used a pick to help it along to make sure my hair got the volume
I desired. The results were big, fluffy, soft hair that definitely turned heads.
My hair continued to get bigger throughout the day which was alright with me. I have learned to love my big hair even though I have a big head. At the end of the day I twisted my hair up into two-strand twists for the plane ride home, I did not want to cause a security alert at the airport. I will definitely rock my big hair again soon.
The last weekend in April yields the largest natural hair event in the world, The World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta Georgia. This grand scale hair show, beauty pageant, educational seminar and shopping bizarre is truly a sight to behold. I have been to this show many times now and I still enjoy going even if I no longer attend all the events. Here are my top reasons why you should check out the WNHS.
5 Reasons You Should Attend World Natural Hair Show
- Glitz and Glamour. Last year I attended the crowing of the World’s Next Top Natural Hair Model because my friend and occasional stylist Te’Ana was a participant (she came in 3rd place). This was a beautiful event and if you like pageants you should definitely check it out.
- Knowledge is Power. There are several workshops that occur throughout the weekend some just for professionals but others that are open to everyone and you can learn a lot about caring for natural hair, products, and styling techniques.
- Meet the Bloggers. This is THE event in the natural hair world so it is no surprise that all your favorite bloggers and vloggers will be there. I always cherish the opportunity to meet my followers and fellow bloggers many of which live in different parts of the country. So if you see someone that looks familiar, stop them and speak! Bloggers are people too, and we love meeting all of you.
- We Like to Party. There are SO many parties surrounding this event. There is the official pre-party @ Tongue And Groove in Buckhead, there is also Natural Girls Rock Anniversary Party @ Coze Atlanta, plus the Natural Hair Freedom Brunch @ Joffreys Cafe, and Koils-N-Kocktails at Sage Naturalceuticals event. Besides all of this, it’s Atlanta, there is always something to do!
- Hair Products. The best part of the show in my opinion, is the shopping. Meeting and interacting with your favorite product manufacturers and being introduced to new companies you may have never heard of. There are tons of samples and live hair demos. There are also tons of DEALS. Check out my post from last year on how to make the most of your shopping experience, I tell all my secrets.
The World Natural Hair Show Spring 2013 takes place this weekend, Saturday 4/27 and Sunday 4/28 at Georgia International Convention Center 2000 Convention Center Concourse College Park, GA 30337. It is not too late to purchase tickets as they are sold at the door. This is an easy 6 hour drive from Louisville, I just did it solo in February, so grab a friend, fill up the tank and ride down if even for a day.
Me + Lola Kinkz
Me, Curly Kimmy Star, Makup And Beauty Junkie
Me + Bridgette
Me + Kumi of I Love Being Black
Me + Johnathon of Entwine
Me + Mahisha of Curls
Me + Dominique of All Things O’ Natural
Me + Kelvin of Black & Bossie
Me + Jeannetta of I’Me
Pretty Me Silk
Me + Felicia Leatherwood
Happy Earth Day! Today is the day we celebrate the Earth, home to 1 billion + people. So not only are there a lot of great deals on natural hair products today, but you can also take this opportunity to change some of your natural hair habits to help improve this rock we call home.
5 Ways to Help Save the Earth
- Recycle. Most naturals have plenty of hair products that come in various bottles and jars. Once you have used up all the contents be sure to recycle the container.
- Conserve. On wash day instead of letting the water run while you are scrubbing away at your scalp, turn the water off.
- Reuse. I make my own spritz to moisturize and refresh my hair but I have not bought a spritz bottle in years. I reuse other bottles by washing them in the dishwasher then re-filling with my own mix.
- Just Say No. There are many common ingredients used in natural hair products that in cultivating and processing are terrible on the Earth. One of these ingredients is palm oil which leads to deforestation and endangers the orangutan population. One easy way to help is to simply not purchase products with this ingredient.
- Reduce. I know the allure of a new product or sale tends to make my natural hair spidey sense tingle. However when you hoard more products than you can use it really just leads to waste which is never a good thing. Focus on using up your existing stash and keeping it at a manageable level. Attend product swaps or check out Lola’s Green Hair to get rid of your excess.
Let’s get showered with savings shall we? For those of you not attending the World Natural Hair Show next week this is your time to shine. Take advantage of these awesome deals and celebrate Earth Day by shopping like a good American.
Save 30% with code: SAVE30 4/20/13 ONLY DCN recommends: Donna Marie Super Butter Creme
Neero & Ana
Save 15% with code: wow 4/20/13 ONLY DCN recommends satin pillowcases so you never have to bother wrapping your hair again.
CurlMart Save 20% with code: EARTH20 plus free reusable curlmart shopping bag with any purchase thru 4/23
Save 35% with code: curlstx 4/20/13 ONLY DCN recommends Curls Coconut Sublime conditioner
Oyin Handmade Save 10% with code: AprilPowers DCN recommends Oyin Hair Dew
AfroVeda Save 15% off your total order with the purchase of STRAIGHT Mongongo & Argan Heat Protection Hair Glaze with code: STRAIGHT
B.A.S.K. Save 20% no coupon code required 4/22 – 4/25 DCN recommends Cacao Bark Deep Conditioning Hair Treat
Original Moxie Save 20% of order of $30+ with code: EARTHDAY 4/22 ONLY DCN recommends Intense Quench Deep Conditioner
Soultanicals Save 22% off and get free tote on orders $50+ with code: EARTHYSOUL 4/22 ONLY
Yes to Carrots Save 30% off + $5 shipping, no coupon code required 4/22 ONLY DCN recommends Yes to Cucumbers conditioner
Amazing Botanicals Free shipping on orders $22+ with code: Earthday 4/22 ONLY. DCN recommends Hibiscus Hair Gel
Derby City Naturals
International Natural Hair Meetup Day
Natural Girls Rock
Saturday May 18, 2013
6:30 – 8:30 pm
120 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202
Join us for a celebration of natural hair including an ask the experts panel, styling tips from top area stylists, giveaways & door prizes and so much more!
Food & Beverages Provided
Hair, Beauty, Jewelry Vendor Marketplace
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS VIA EVENTBRITE
General Admission tickets are $30 and include a swag bag with natural hair and beauty products and will contain 1 full-sized item with a retail value of $9.99 or greater.
Youth tickets are $10 for those who would like your son/daughter/niece/etc ages 13-17 to attend the event with you to experience natural hair meetup. Youth tickets do not include a swag bag but are eligible for door prizes.
Vendor tickets to purchase a table to sell your hair, beauty or jewelry products click the link to pay the vending fee and I will send you a contract.