Join us Thursday April 17th 2014 @ 6 pm for the Return of the Curls Meetup + Model Call
2014 Return of the Curls Louisville Hair Expo is Saturday May 17th which will include a hair show. This model call will recruit models for the hair show. Models are needed of all ages, shapes, sizes and textures. You do not need previous modeling experience just a positive attitude. The event will start as a hair meetup where we will answer general hair questions, product giveaways as well as products available for purchase. The model call will begin at approx 7 pm.
Date: Thursday April 17
Time: 6 – 8:30 pm
Location: Chandeliers Main Events 201 E Main Street, Suite 102 Louisville KY
RSVP: Tickets are $5 in adv
I love to travel. Recently I went on my first cruise with Royal Caribbean Cruises, I had an absolute blast if you have not ever been cruising it is something you simply MUST do! Check out my girl Janine with Your Door to the World Travel if you are interested in taking one.
This first thought that entered my mind after the excitement of going on a cruise was what am I going to do with my hair? I knew I was going to be spending lots of time in the ocean or the pool by day and dancing the night away so the best style for me would be a wash-n-go. I could wash my hair regularly to remove salt water, chlorine, sweat and whatever ever I managed to get in there while still looking cute. I had to make sure the products I selected would be effective and reliable but also be ideal for meeting restraints of limited luggage, flying and multi-use. Here is what I selected.
- Bobeam Shampoo Bar These bars do an excellent job of cleansing the hair and scalp they are compact and best of all they are not liquid so you can pack them in your carryon luggage saving room in your checked baggage.
- Aussie Moist 3-Minute Miracle I know I can be a bit of a product snob but I always have a cheap condish in my arsenal. One I that will work as both to moisturize my curls and has enough slip to detangle. I also don’t feel guilty when I accidently leave it behind in the shower at the hotel.
- Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha Gel While I haven’t officially posted a review for this gel it has been road tested several times. I can get up to two day hair with one application, it is lightweight and provides consistent results. Also because it is so mucilage heavy I don’t have to use a leave-in conditioner underneath.
- Hydratherma Naturals Hair Growth Oil I have a small 2 ounce bottle that I travel with to soothe scalp, seal hair and add shine. It also smells really good which is an added plus.
- Oh Honey Hush Hair Scarves There will come times when you need to pull your hair up either to simply get it out of the way or just for a cute style. Many ladies use stretchy headbands which work for some but my head is big + I have a lot of hair = headaches and broken bands. I prefer to tie my hair back and these scarves are just so damn cute.
That was my complete hair care list. I didn’t bring a comb either, just finger detangled my hair while conditioning it. There were some days I simply did a conditioner only wash-n-go and tied my hair up in a puff because I knew I would be getting in the ocean and did not want to waste any hair products. I had the most wonderful time on my cruise and I am already planning the next one.
I love updos. They are my favorite hairstyle to rock. My stylist has sculpted some pretty amazing looks for me including twisted updo + rod set curls and twist with scallop bang. One key tool to achieving a great updo are bobby pins. Dakota will have your hair pinned into a unique form that will have you setting off metal detectors in order to make sure your style shall not be moved [no really we almost had an incident at the airport, but that is another story for another day].
However the last couple times I got my hair done I noticed my scalp has very irritated, itchy and sore. I can normally wear a good twisted or braided updo for weeks at a time, but lately after just a few days the itching becomes uncomfortable. I tried treating my scalp with the usual suspects but with no relief, so I end up taking the style down and blaming it on my scalp’s fickle behavior.
A few days ago I gave myself an easy style to help accommodate the frigid temps. I twisted my hair back into 5 chunky flat then pinned them into a flat bun, a loose interpretation on this style. Well after only a day my scalp was really itchy in the back where my bun was. I took down the bobby pins grabbed a ink pen to scratch my scalp gently and told myself I would rub it down with some acv later. I never actually got around to treating my scalp and the next day I noticed I didn’t itch at all. That made me think: what if it was the bobby pins that were irritating my hair? I used a plastic clip to make a bun and three days later I have yet to have any additional itch or irritation.
The bobby pins I use are holdovers from twisted updos past done at the salon. These are just regular bobby pins from a BSS, nothing special about them. I don’t know if it is the metal, paint or the coating but something about them is irritating my scalp. I am going to look into better quality of bobby pins and I will let you know how that goes. In the mean time I will be using Goody Ouchless Barrettes which are plastic. You can also looking into sewing your hair for updo styles, it is the same thread used for sew-in weaves and is a popular technique used when creating updos on locs.
Happy Thanksgiving DCN family. I hope your holiday is spent with food, family and football. The picture about is of the teenager sending hello from Texas, she is still natural just straightened.
While you are enjoying the festivities don’t forget that there are several retailers who are starting sales early see below
- AfroVeda *Special Deal for DCN Subscribers*
- Thursday 11/28 – Monday 12/2 CST 35% with code: DerbyCity
- Sale does not include Carrot Seed Bar
- Bee Mine Products
- Thursday 11/28 8 – 10:00 pm EST 40% off order $30+ with code: BLK30
- Thursday 11/28 10 pm – Friday 11/29 30% off order $25+ with code: BLK30
- CC’s Naturals
- 40% off Thursday 11/28 9:00 pm – Friday 11/29 6:59 am code: BF40
- 30% off Friday 11/29 7:00 am – Monday 12/2 11:59 pm code: BF30
- Free Shipping US only on orders $35+ after discount
- Curl Junkie Thursday 11/28 5 pm EST thru Friday 11/29 11:59 pm EST
- 25% off orders totaling $50+ with code: THANKS2013
- L.A.C.E. Naturals Thursday11/28 Midnight thru Friday 11/29 11:59 pm
- Save 30% off total purchase of $40+ with code THANKS
- Free Shipping on orders $70+ no coupon code
- Holiday Box with 8 deluxe samples $35
- Soap 4 for $20
- mainelement: love Thursday 11/28 Midnight thru 12/2 11:59 pm
- 25% off sale on all products code: blklove25
- 50% off Aloe Conditioner with code: blklove50
- Free shipping on all order $50+ No Coupon Code
- Nyenzo Natural Boutique Wednesday 11/27 thru Friday 11/29 PST
- 20% off + Free Shipping on orders $45+ No Coupon Code
- Pura Body Naturals Thursday 11/28 thru 12/28/2013 No Coupon Code
- BOGO Free Sale on Cupuacu Hair Butter, Chocolate Hair Smoothie, Sapote Hair Lotion and MuruMuru Moisture Milk
For a full list of Black Friday sales check out our list with more than 75 deals.
Enter the 3 Sisters DCN Holiday Giveaway for a chance to win great stuff.
And for you grown ups out there here is a holiday libation I have been sipping on:
- sparkingling cranberry cider
In a highball glass add ice, 2 ounces rum and 4 ounces of sparkingly cranberry cider and a splash of lime. Enjoy!
Happy Gray Friday! What you never heard of Gray Friday? Well, Gray Friday is the friday preceding Black Friday where several retailers sneak in early sales to entice you to start shopping. CurlMart has been doing this for years, their Gray Friday sales have been better than their Black Friday deals so it pays to shop early. Soultanicals is offering a $10 sale on all 8 oz products today thru 11/28/13. Jane Carter is offering free shipping from now until the end of the year. Koils By Nature has a Holiday Box valued at $150 for only $65 and includes products from Koils By Nature, Sydell Cosmetics, Smooth Naturals, LIA Naturals, and more.
While you were sleeping I posted the Derby City Naturals Annual Black Friday List make sure you bookmark the page as it will be updated daily. I have already received just under a dozen new deals. Several retailers like Bake Shop Butters and Shi-Naturals have deals that start this weekend so make sure you read the dates carefully.
Most Black Friday deals will run the entire weekend but certain vendors have special deals on Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, Thank God I’m Natural is doing a different deal each day. After shopping in the comfort of your PJ’s early Friday morning be sure to hit up local small businesses on Saturday. I am making my way over to Lexie’s of Louisville for bath and body gifts. I love their Shea Butter & Olive Oil Moisturzing Creme.
Also because my birthday is next month, I’ve decided to do a giveaway basket of my favorite things. Make sure you are subscribed to the blog so you know first-hand when to enter, trust me you are going to love it. As always follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube. May the deals be ever be in your favor.
The Return of the Curls Natural Hair Expo is promised to be the Greater Louisville, Los Angeles, Richmond and Greensboro regions’ premiere beauty, fashion and hair experience of 2014.
The tour will kick off in Louisville, KY Saturday May 17th 2014. The tour will continue on to Los Angeles, CA in June, Richmond, VA in July and Greensboro, NC in August.
If you are a business or organization who wants to take advantage of this expo there are a number of ways you can participate including event vending, product sponsorship, advertising sponsorship or partner with ROTC to become a premier gold, silver or platinum sponsor.
If you are interested in more information about sponsorship, partnering with ROTC or getting involved as a blogger/vlogger or volunteer contact email@example.com.
That’s right it’s November. And while most people are thinking of cooler temps, scarves & boots, turkey & family us naturals have our minds set on Black Friday. In case you didn’t know Black Friday isn’t just a day to go to the electronics store to buy a 92 inch television for $15, it is the greatest day to buy natural hair and body products. Derby City Naturals blog will have the DEFINITIVE LIST for all the best and most exclusive deals, per usual. Make sure you are subscribed to the blog so you will get the update straight to your inbox. And once the post is up you want to make sure you bookmark it because I will be receiving new deals daily and updating the list.
If you are a product manufacturer or reseller and want to add your deals to the list please email DerbyCityNaturals[at]gmail[dot]com with BLACK FRIDAY DEALS FOR [COMPANY] in the subject line to be included. You can also state what date you want your deals to be released and I will make sure not to make them public until then. But please DO NOT wait until the last minute. I am not staying up until the wee hours of the morning the night before to update.